The Pie Baking Contest will again be featured at the 43rd-Annual Jackson’s Mill Jubilee, this Labor Day weekend, Sept. 1-3.
The event is scheduled for the afternoon of Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017, in the EEC building.
Contestants may enter at the pool gate and park. The pie maker receives free admission and directions to the location.
Contestants are invited to enter pies between 2-3 p.m. Judging will begin at 3 p.m. and awards will be given when the judging is complete (tentatively scheduled to be between 4-4:30 p.m.). Ribbons and cash prizes will be awarded to contest participants, and visitors may sample the pies following the awards ceremony (4:30-5 p.m.).
Contest rules are:
1. Pie fillings must have a West Virginia product (fruit, nut, or vegetable) as the main ingredient.
2. Pie fillings must be made from fresh, home preserved, or home frozen ingredients; commercially canned pie fillings will not be accepted.
3. Crusts must be home prepared; frozen or other commercially prepared crusts will not be accepted.
4. Custard pies or pies containing any ingredient requiring constant refrigeration (such as cream cheese, whipped topping, etc.) will not be accepted due to lack of refrigeration at the contest site.
5. There will be three divisions:
Adult (18 and over)—Single Crust Pie
Adult (18 and over)—Double Crust Pie
Youth Division (under age 18)—Single or Double Crust Pie.
6. One copy of the recipe used (crust and filling) must be submitted with each pie.
7. An individual contestant may enter up to two pies per category.
8. The decisions of the judges are final.
The contest is sponsored by Jenny Garton Insurance Agency, Inc. in cooperation with the Jackson’s Mill Jubilee. The Jenny Garton Agency, which represents State Farm Insurance in Weston, will provide ribbons and cash prizes for winners in each of the three divisions.
For additional information, contact Annette Santilli at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-621-3648.
Don’t forget Admission to the 43rd-Annual Jackson’s Mill Jubilee is still just $5 per person, Children under three are admitted free.
There will be free parking on the old Jackson’s Mill Airport, free shuttle bus service to the Jubilee grounds, and free golf cart rides on the Jubilee grounds.